Project manager jobs can be structured in different ways. Strong project managers have direct authority over teams. Weak project managers have indirect authority over teams. Matrix or hybrid project structures fall in between the strong project manager and weak project manager structures. The best project management structure depends on the need for speed and flexibility.
- Part of resolving to a course of action…is understanding exactly what…the project managers job will be,…so let's look at some of the common ways…to structure the project managers role.…I remember a big project meeting…that I attended a few years ago.…We went around the room and everyone introduced themselves,…as I listened, nearly half of the people…introduced themselves as being project managers.…I remember asking one of my colleagues,…how many project managers do we really need…for this one project?…But we soon realized…that there was plenty of room for all of us.…
In some cases, there's only one project manager,…and that person is really the boss.…Everyone on the team reports to the project manager,…and the project manager has the authority…to hire and fire people, to award bonuses,…and to discipline team members if necessary.…These are called strong project managers…because they have a lot of power.…Having a strong project manager has benefits,…but it also comes with challenges.…On one hand, working on the project…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining the vision
- Documenting the project scope
- Investigating potential options
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Selecting a course of action
- Resolving issues
- Building trust with transparency
- Managing project plans
- Identifying risks
- Changing processes
- Helping people transition
Skill Level Intermediate
Agile Project Management Foundationswith Bob McGannon1h 17m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Changewith Doug Rose1h 1m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Scheduleswith Bonnie Biafore1h 33m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
Next steps2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.