Join Doug Rose for an in-depth discussion in this video Trying the Kotter approach, part of Enterprise Agile: Changing Your Culture.
- Enterprise Agile is a big organizational change.…It's still pretty new to change your organization…to embrace a more Agile mindset.…It's not that new to try and make…big organizational changes.…In fact, one commonly used approach…was based on a book that came out in 1996.…It's called Leading Change by John Kotter.…The book proposes an eight-step approach…for organizational change.…Each step follows the next,…almost like a classic waterfall model.…Most organizations that try the Kotter approach…think of it as one big event.…
They use it as an organizational shake-up.…That's why many companies only try this…if they feel that their core business is in danger.…The eight steps of the approach are:…Establishing a sense of urgency.…Creating a guiding coalition.…Developing a vision and strategy.…Communicating the change vision.…Empowering broad-based action.…Generating short-term wins.…Consolidating gains and producing more change.…
Anchoring new approaches in the culture.…One of the key challenges with this approach…is that it depends on a change leader.…
That's why this course is the first in a four-part series on enterprise agile. In this course, Doug Rose helps you lay the groundwork you'll need to make this radical organizational change. First, learn how to identify your organization's culture. There are many different types of organizational cultures, and each one presents its own set of challenges. Then, see different approaches to making a widespread organizational change. Finally, learn about the common challenges that almost all organizations face when starting enterprise agile.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Recognize what must be in place before implementing a framework.
- Identify a simple strategy for implementing organizational change.
- Name the culture type that pushes for certainty and depends upon hierarchy.
- Recall what occurs in a competence culture.
- Explain organizational culture and describe how it relates to an agile transformation.
- Define the fearless change approach.
- List the eight steps in Kotter’s 8-Step approach.