Factory managers want high-performing machines that never break down and switch easily from one product to another. Lean can help you work towards this goal. In this video, Steven explains the practices of total productive maintenance, single-minute exchange of dies, and overall equipment effectiveness.
- "Before everything else,…"getting ready is the secret of success."…That's a quote from Henry Ford,…the founder of Ford Motor Company,…but no one is better at implementing this idea than Toyota…through its lean principles…of Total Productive Maintenance, or TPM.…The goal of TPM is to have…zero unplanned equipment downtime.…To do this, Lean emphasizes planned downtime…or preventive maintenance.…With proper maintenance, Lean reduces the number…of unexpected equipment failures,…ideally to zero failures.…
The key is to perform preventive maintenance…in an effective and efficient manner.…Effective means to perform the right maintenance…at the right time…to ensure the equipment is ready when needed.…This is no different than the maintenance…you perform on your car.…Regular oil changes and systems checks ensure your car…will operate reliably on a continuous basis.…Routine maintenance based on how much the machine is used…ensures your factory equipment is up…and running when needed.…
Efficient means that the scheduled maintenance is done…
Lean concepts have been successfully applied to every aspect of doing business. In this course, learn the principles of lean and how they are used in processes, production, and services. Instructor Steven Brown also explains how lean thinking impacts the organization, from the overall business culture to day-to-day work activities.
- Cite the focus of a lean strategy.
- Explain what a “rule of complexity” is.
- Name the three key measures of inventory.
- List the 5S tools.
- Define a lean transportation system.
- Describe the characteristics of a lean purchasing organization.
- Identify the characteristics of a lean company.
Skill Level Beginner
Enterprise Agile: Disciplined Agile (DA) versus Spotifywith Doug Rose1h 11m Intermediate
1. Lean Defined
2. Lean Processes
3. Lean Manufacturing
4. Lean Services
5. Lean Thinking
Next steps1m 43s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.