Learn about state diagrams and sequence diagrams, and when to use these analysis models to do great requirements analysis.
- What is the status of my order?…Status or the state of something is often a key part…of the logic within many systems and processes.…If status and timing are critical components of a solution,…then state and sequence diagrams…will boost the value of your requirements.…Let's start with state diagrams.…State diagrams show the different states…something can take on.…For example, your order online is in the cart,…purchased, processing, shipped, or received.…
A state diagram shows all these states…and what causes the state to change.…Without understanding the states and how they change,…your user experience will be compromised.…Let's look at an example.…This state diagram shows the various order statuses…and what moves the order between the various states.…This is critical in helping developers make sure…that these events, data, and states…happen in concert with the user actions and data flow.…
You can also create a state table to show the same analysis.…It's a different visual to show the same thing,…and it would look like this.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What's elicitation and analysis?
- The relationship of elicitation to analysis
- Elicitation techniques
- Using interviews, brainstorming, and experiments to elicit requirements
- Analysis techniques
- Working with process models, context diagrams, and decision tables
- Adding to a process, product, or system