Join Jason Osder for an in-depth discussion in this video Set the baseline, part of OmniPlan 3 Essential Training.
- Baselines are a very useful and exciting feature of OmniPlan. What they allow you to do is set down your plan schedule, and then compare it to your actual schedule as you progress through a project. Let's take a look at how you set an initial baseline. So here I am in task view in the project we've been working on, and it's important that we've done a series of checks before we set our initial baseline. So, in the previous chapter we've just gone through, a lot of different checks to just kind of tighten the screws on our schedule, and now we think it's depicting what we want, and we want to sort of take a snapshot of it and lock it in as our plan schedule.
So, appropriately, one of the ways to get your baseline going is this little camera feature, to commit to the schedule as it says there, and there's other ways to get this dialogue up, but we'll just go ahead and click the camera and it says we're going to create a baseline for this project. And there's some instruction here, and it says this is when significant changes have happened. So we're not stuck with just one baseline. We can make revised baselines. So I'm just going to call this one Baseline 1, like our first plan, and click OK.
So what this enables us to do is lock in this snapshot, and as we continue to progress through our project and individual tasks move forward, we'll be able to compare the baseline to what actually happens in the real world. So now that the baseline is established, we're going to go ahead and start comparing in another movie.
The course explains how to most efficiently create and assign resources, including grouping resources, assigning duration and effort, and modifying individual schedule expectations. Learn how to use views; track project progress with critical paths, Gantt charts, and baselines; and configure different project settings. Chapter 9 shows how to work with OmniPlan Pro's expanded feature set, including Monte Carlo simulations and the multiproject dashboard.
- Navigating the OmniPlan interface
- Viewing projects as Gantt charts
- Starting new projects
- Creating milestones, tasks, and dependencies
- Grouping and splitting tasks
- Assigning resources to tasks
- Working with the Calendar and Network views
- Checking and finalizing a project plan
- Gauging progress with baselines
- Configuring start and end dates, styles, templates, and more
- Working with OmniPlan Pro
Skill Level Beginner
Project Management: Iterative Methodswith Bob McGannon1h 16m Appropriate for all
Transitioning from Waterfall to Agile Project Managementwith Kelley OConnell1h 32m Appropriate for all
OmniFocus for Mac Essential Trainingwith David Sparks1h 50m Beginner
1. Navigate the Interface
2. Work with Projects and Project Elements
3. Work with Tasks
4. Work with Resources
5. Calendar and Network Views
6. Finalize a Project Plan
7. Gauge Progress with Baselines
8. Project Configuration
9. OmniPlan Pro
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.