The creators of LeSS took this backlog refinement and split it into three different meetings. Doug Rose explains how each of these meetings work in LeSS, and touches on the importance of the product owner's role in them.
- If you've worked on a Scrum team…then you're probably familiar with the term…Product Backlog Refinement.…This is where the Product Owner works with the Team…to break down user stories into smaller chunks.…If you're using the diagrams from the LeSS website,…you might want to print out the PDF graphic…called Product Backlog Refinement.…It gives you a high-level image…of how these meetings fit together.…The creators of LeSS took this backlog refinement…and split it into three meetings.…There's an overall product backlog refinement meeting,…a team-level product backlog refinement meeting,…and a multiteam product backlog refinement meeting.…
Even though there are three separate meetings,…they still encourage you to limit refinement…to no more than 10% of each Sprint.…You could almost think of these three meetings…as an old-fashioned flour grinder.…In an old grinder, you turn the crank…and grind the big chunks into finer powder.…In the overall product backlog refinement meeting,…you throw in the big items at the top.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Descaling enterprise agile
- Defining Larman's Laws and LeSS principles
- LeSS product owner and scrum master
- Growing Scrum
- Defining "done"
- Organizing a sprint review
- Organizing an overall retrospective
- Approaching key challenges