Punch lists are part of the project close out process. Completing projects can be easier with a formal process. The cross-functional project team should maintain a punch list of items that are identified during the change, and ensure that these are resolved so that the project can be closed out completely.
- There's a joke among project managers that the first 90% of the work accounts for the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the work accounts for the remaining 90% of the time. In this video, we'll learn how to use a punch list to manage that last 10% as you close out a project. A punch list is one way to keep track of any outstanding issues or unfinished details. The punch list makes it clear to everyone what needs to be fixed before the project can really be called done.
Let's take a look at how the team at H+ Sport used a punch list to close out their project. Here's an issue that ended up on their punch list. It didn't stop any other activities, but it needed to be resolved before the project could be considered complete. The new distribution center had two entrances facing the main road. One of the entrances was for cars, and the other was for trucks. But the signs were confusing, so trucks were pulling into the parking lot instead of the loading dock area.
The project team added this as an issue on the punch list: "Improve signage for auto and truck entrances." It was assigned to the facility manager, and they set a target date two weeks out to have it completed. In this case, the issue is relatively small and will be resolved without a significant change to scope, schedule, or budget. And that is how most punch list items are resolved. But there are two other possible outcomes for any issue added to the punch list. It might be decided that the effort to make a change isn't worth the benefit.
In other words, leave it the way it is. Or it might be decided that an issue on the punch list requires a change order, which means that you're modifying the project's scope, schedule, or budget. However the issues are resolved, using a punch list makes it much easier to reach agreement on when the project is really, truly, absolutely complete. It's a great tool for helping you and your team close out a project successfully.
- Name who is responsible for approving the resources for the project.
- Recall what the spine of a fishbone diagram represents.
- List characteristics of the environment.
- Identify the tools used for mapping processes.
- Recognize what needs to be captured on the action item list.
- Recall what project metrics should be related to.