Uncertainty and change are key aspects of projects. Program management requires thorough processes to manage the increased complexity during ambiguity and change.
- Do you thrive under uncertainty?…Then program management is just for you.…Within a project, you may or may not know…much about how you're going to reach the end…but one thing's for sure, the further you move along…in your project, things become clearer…and the chances of you predicting the project outcome…gets better and better.…The project manager doesn't have to worry too much…about strategy, she just has to concentrate…in getting something out the door.…The program manager doesn't have this luxury.…
How come?…She has to deal with that moving target…we call organizational strategy.…Can you imagine someone asking you to move in various…directions and you need to make sure that…everyone behind you was staying in line?…Well, that describes program management in one sentence.…Let's stay with this analogy.…So, the organization asks you to move…the program a certain direction.…This request will most likely be coming…from the portfolio manager.…You need to make the adjustment to your program components…to make sure you're still delivering…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is program management?
- Who are program managers?
- Program versus project
- Program life-cycle phases
- Aligning programs to an organization's strategies
- Analyzing needs and planning programs
- Delivering and sustaining benefits from programs
- Working with program stakeholders
- Supporting program governance activities
- Managing program finances and resources
- Scheduling programs
- Managing program scope and quality