Learn about the program processes and components within resource management.
- What makes resource planning…so difficult for a program manager?…Program uncertainty.…In comparison to a project…that becomes clearer through time,…the program manager's constantly having to deal…with the organizational strategy wildcard.…And your resource planning is in a constant state of flux,…so you learn to live with it.…On one program that it worked on, the organization decided…they had to get a product out earlier in a certain market.…
This means that one of the projects in my program…had to speed up deployment, and quick.…To make this happen, I had to see how I could rearrange…the schedule and my program resource pool…to meet the strategic challenge.…What kind of an effect would it have…on the other projects within my program?…I had to estimate this one as well.…Lastly, I talked to the project managers on my team,…explained the change our executives wanted and asked them…if they saw any issues I hadn't seen so far.…
I would get their buy-in, move the resources,…and revise the schedules and got the approval…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- What is program management?
- Who are program managers?
- Program versus project
- Program life-cycle phases
- Aligning programs to an organization's strategies
- Analyzing needs and planning programs
- Delivering and sustaining benefits from programs
- Working with program stakeholders
- Supporting program governance activities
- Managing program finances and resources
- Scheduling programs
- Managing program scope and quality