Join Doug Rose for an in-depth discussion in this video Organizational culture, part of Enterprise Agile: Changing Your Culture.
- For most organizations, the first step…in your agile transformation is to better…understand your culture.…A former MIT professor, Edgar Schein,…wrote a terrific book on this subject.…He said that an organization's culture is,…"A pattern of shared basic assumptions…"that the group learned as it solved its problems…"that have worked well enough to be considered valid,…"and is passed on to new members as the correct way…"to perceive, think, and feel in relation…"to those problems."…Think about a few of the concepts in this definition.…
The assumptions that are passed on…as the correct way to think.…One of his key points is that culture is deeply ingrained.…These are the things that people do without asking.…They're the basic assumptions that a group learns…and teaches its new members.…Have you ever started working in an organization…and was told that this is how we do things here?…Maybe you made a mistake and someone said,…"This is not how we work."…Now imagine if you responded,…"Well maybe we should change how we do things."…
That's why this course is the first in a four-part series on enterprise agile. In this course, Doug Rose helps you lay the groundwork you'll need to make this radical organizational change. First, learn how to identify your organization's culture. There are many different types of organizational cultures, and each one presents its own set of challenges. Then, see different approaches to making a widespread organizational change. Finally, learn about the common challenges that almost all organizations face when starting enterprise agile.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Recognize what must be in place before implementing a framework.
- Identify a simple strategy for implementing organizational change.
- Name the culture type that pushes for certainty and depends upon hierarchy.
- Recall what occurs in a competence culture.
- Explain organizational culture and describe how it relates to an agile transformation.
- Define the fearless change approach.
- List the eight steps in Kotter’s 8-Step approach.