Mapping a process flow is useful for project leaders. Learning to use a mapping tool such as a flowchart, swim lane, RACI matrix, or SIPOC to analyze and describe a process can add value. This is important for project managers to ensure that options are clear and communicated accurately to stakeholders.
- As projects teams investigate their options…to improve a process, they often need tools…to help them understand and explain what's going on.…There are lots of different techniques for studying…and explaining business processes.…In this video, we'll look at four of my favorites.…Flowcharts, swim lanes, SIPOCs, and RACI matrices.…All four of these mapping tools are used…in process improvement efforts such as Lean in Six Sigma.…
Flowcharts are diagrams that show the sequence…of steps in a process.…There are some excellent flowcharting software packages…available, and there are sophisticated approaches…to developing flowcharts.…But in many cases you can get big insights…just be creating a simple diagram.…Start with whatever event or action begins the process…and then show each of the steps in order…until the process is complete.…A cross-functional flowchart, or a swim lane,…is a natural extension of a flowchart.…
With the swim lane you still show the process steps…and the order in which they occur,…but you organize them according to who is doing the work…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining the vision
- Documenting the project scope
- Investigating potential options
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Selecting a course of action
- Resolving issues
- Building trust with transparency
- Managing project plans
- Identifying risks
- Changing processes
- Helping people transition
Skill Level Intermediate
Agile Project Management Foundationswith Bob McGannon1h 16m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Changewith Doug Rose1h 1m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Scheduleswith Bonnie Biafore1h 33m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
Next steps2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.