Projects slack is a buffer against delays. Project activities that have slack are not on the critical path. But delays or procrastination can consume that slack, shift those tasks onto the critical path, and increase the risk to the project. Learning how to track and manage slack is an important competency for project leaders.
- Slack, it's a hidden part of every project plan.…And managing slack properly can make a huge difference…in how well your team is able to execute the plan.…In this video, we'll learn what slack is…and how to manage it like a pro.…If an activity on your project plan can be delayed…without pushing out the finish date…of the project, then that activity has slack.…Some people also call this float.…The amount of slack or float is the amount of time…that a task can be delayed without causing…a delay to the completion of the project.…
Tasks that are on the critical path…don't have any slack.…If any one of those tasks is delayed,…then it will delay the whole project.…But the tasks that aren't on the critical path…do have slack, and that can come in handy.…For example, let's look at a situation…that came up during the project at HPlus Sport.…There were two developers on the team working…on different activities at the same time.…One of the activities was on the critical path,…and the other one had five days of slack.…
Unfortunately, one of the two people caught the flu…
- Defining the vision
- Documenting the project scope
- Investigating potential options
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Selecting a course of action
- Resolving issues
- Building trust with transparency
- Managing project plans
- Identifying risks
- Changing processes
- Helping people transition
Skill Level Intermediate
Agile Project Management Foundationswith Bob McGannon1h 17m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Changewith Doug Rose1h 1m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Scheduleswith Bonnie Biafore1h 33m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
Next steps2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.