Solving today’s business problems and continuously improving your processes often requires new and innovative approaches. In this video, Steven uses an Amazon patent to demonstrate the need to integrate innovation and Lean.
- According to Jeff Bezos,…"We've had three big ideas at Amazon…"that we've stuck with for 18 years,…"and they're the reason we're successful.…"Put the customer first,…"invent, and be patient."…I like this quote,…because it implies that the company innovates…with the customer in mind from the very beginning.…Lean practices certainly support that idea.…Amazon shows us time and again,…that a company an be innovative and lean at the same time.…
That's an important distinction.…Many companies invent first,…and think about efficiency later,…when the product is about to go into production.…Amazon's Airborne Fulfillment Center…shows us that Lean principles…can be built into the new product from the very start.…The idea is pretty straight forward.…Bring a mini warehouse directly to the customer's location,…distribute products from there,…and replenish inventory as needed.…In this patent filed by Amazon,…the distribution center is airborne and mobile,…transported by an airship.…
Drones deliver products to customers…and return to a replenishment airship,…
Lean concepts have been successfully applied to every aspect of doing business. In this course, learn the principles of lean and how they are used in processes, production, and services. Instructor Steven Brown also explains how lean thinking impacts the organization, from the overall business culture to day-to-day work activities.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Cite the focus of a lean strategy.
- Explain what a “rule of complexity” is.
- Name the three key measures of inventory.
- List the 5S tools.
- Define a lean transportation system.
- Describe the characteristics of a lean purchasing organization.
- Identify the characteristics of a lean company.