Leading projects includes investigating options and alternative solutions. Projects may become overly focused on one solution without identifying or recognizing superior alternatives. The project leader should ensure that the project team investigates options before expending resources on a particular solution.
- Investigating your options is one of the six pillars…of project leadership.…Let's look at why it is so important…and talk about some specific tools…that can be extremely helpful.…Have you ever bought something on an impulse…only to feel the buyer's remorse of knowing…that you could've gotten the same thing,…or something even better, for less money?…If you'd only done a bit more research.…Well, the same thing happens with projects all the time.…People get focused on a particular solution…and start investing time and money to make it happen…without really taking the time to consider alternatives…that might actually have been better, faster, and cheaper.…
Part of a project leader's job is to prevent groupthink…where everyone on the team is marching forward…without challenging assumptions…and thinking about alternatives.…There are number of tools that can help…with investigating options.…For example, a SWOT analysis can help you explain…the strategic forces at play for your project.…Process mapping can help you understand the steps…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining the vision
- Documenting the project scope
- Investigating potential options
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Selecting a course of action
- Resolving issues
- Building trust with transparency
- Managing project plans
- Identifying risks
- Changing processes
- Helping people transition
Skill Level Intermediate
Agile Project Management Principleswith Bob McGannon1h 16m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Changewith Doug Rose1h 1m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
Next steps2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.