Learn about safety and security, why they are important, and how they are managed.
- Bill Gates, who founded Microsoft, said,…"Information technology and business…"are becoming inextricably interwoven.…"I don't think anybody can talk meaningfully…"about one without talking about the other."…So in this video, we'll look at the critical role…that IT plays in business.…With each new wave of technology,…the IT team needs to balance the costs vs. the benefits,…and find ways to keep their systems current.…
Of course they have to think about…what hardware and software to buy…in order to support the work that people…in the company are doing.…New purchases involve setup, configuration,…installation, and training,…all of which take time and money.…And every piece of hardware or software…that they add to a network involves upgrades and patches.…These take time and money, too.…One way to eliminate the need…to purchase hardware and software…is to use programs that are accessed over the internet.…
These cloud-based solutions, sometimes called…software as a service, or SaaS,…eliminate many of the costs related…
Instructor Daniel Stanton begins the course by reviewing the key skills highlighted in the Project Management Institute (PMI) Talent Triangle, and explaining how strategy and business management fit into your professional development. Next, he explains how to align your project with the priorities of your organization, and effectively communicate the goals, benefits, and risks of your project to your stakeholders. Then, he walks through the different business functions in an organization, including marketing and sales, supply chain management, human resources, and information technology. To wrap up, Daniel explains how to leverage your business acumen to collaborate effectively with individuals throughout your organization.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify the role of business acumen in the PMI Talent Triangle.
- Recognize that projects are how businesses implement changes.
- Explore the characteristics of a SMART goal.
- List several business benefits of good customer service.
- Identify common financial documents.
- Review common financial analysis methods.
- Recall the three common approaches to continuous process improvement.
- Identify the differences between strategic, tactical, and operational goals.