Affinity diagramming is a tool for capturing and organizing ideas. Project leaders can learn to use affinity diagramming to help their team be more creative and collaborate on innovative solutions for the problems that the project is designed to address. This example shows affinity diagramming in action.
- Defining your challenges and potential solutions…is a key pillar of project leadership.…But teams sometimes get stuck…because they have too many ideas…and can't figure out where to start.…Let's see how to use affinity diagramming…to help your team channel their creativity…and clarify the scope of your project.…With affinity diagramming,…you can quickly transform a large number of divergent ideas…into a handful of clearly defined themes.…
You do it by looking for commonality,…or affinity between the ideas,…and then grouping them together.…For example, you can lead a brainstorming activity…and have everyone write their ideas on sticky notes.…Then, you transition into an affinity diagramming exercise…and move the sticky notes around so that the similar ideas…appear near each other in groups or clusters.…Let's look at how this would work for H+ Sport.…We've said that the problem is…that we are not meeting our customers' expectations.…
How can we solve that problem?…We did a brainstorming exercise…and got a whole lot of very creative perspectives.…
- Defining the vision
- Documenting the project scope
- Investigating potential options
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Selecting a course of action
- Resolving issues
- Building trust with transparency
- Managing project plans
- Identifying risks
- Changing processes
- Helping people transition
Skill Level Intermediate
Next steps2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.