- Before we get going with OmniPlan we need to download and install the software. So I'm going to do that right now. I'm here on omnigroup.com and OmniGroup is the company that makes OmniPlan. And if I scroll down just a little bit I see their different pieces of software and I click on OmniPlan. So now that I'm on the OmniPlan page I can scroll down a little bit and I do see that there are Download and Buy Now buttons. But if I scroll all the way down I get a lot of explanations about the software, a lot of good stuff here, and then all the way at the bottom I have a full explanation of the prices and the versions which I wanted to share with you.
OmniPlan is only on the Mac and you can try a trial for 14 days. There's also Standard and Pro versions. So if we do the trial we're actually going to get the Pro version for the Mac for 14 days which is what we'll be training on for a bit here. And then when you decide to upgrade you can get the Standard version for about $150 or the Pro version for about $300. We'll be going through all of the differences between Standard and Pro.
But if you scroll down a little bit more you can see a nice graph that has all of those differences as well. You'll also notice that there is Standard and Pro versions for iOS. And we'll be talking about all of that integration. Lets go ahead and start with the free 14 day trial. Here we have the page with the different software they have. So of course we're looking at OmniPlan today. We want the latest version. And as you can see, the trial is going to be both Standard and Pro but Pro will be activated as part of the trial.
So we'll just wait while this downloads. And wherever your downloads go to just give that a little click and we will mount the disc image. Do we agree to its terms? Now you can see if we move away from our browser that the disc image has been mounted and we have instructions to install OmniPlan by simply dragging the icon to Applications. Pretty standard way to install a lot of software. So there we go.
We've dropped it in there. So we're done with this window and we can also eject the disc image whenever we want to. But I do want to confirm that OmniPlan is in fact installed. There it is. And can run. So I'm going to go ahead and double click it and run it for the first time. And of course we have the standard warning. Do we trust this? It was downloaded from the Internet. In fact we do trust it. We know where it came from. And we see now a blank untitled OmniPlan project for the first time.
Of course now we're going to move forward and talk about how we setup a project and how we save it. But for now we have the software installed. In fact, we're using the trial version. We have up to 90 days which is interesting because the website said 14 days and this says 90. But none the less we have a free version with all of the Pro features that we can learn on. Now we're ready to get started.
The course explains how to most efficiently create and assign resources, including grouping resources, assigning duration and effort, and modifying individual schedule expectations. Learn how to use views; track project progress with critical paths, Gantt charts, and baselines; and configure different project settings. Chapter 9 shows how to work with OmniPlan Pro's expanded feature set, including Monte Carlo simulations and the multiproject dashboard.
- Navigating the OmniPlan interface
- Viewing projects as Gantt charts
- Starting new projects
- Creating milestones, tasks, and dependencies
- Grouping and splitting tasks
- Assigning resources to tasks
- Working with the Calendar and Network views
- Checking and finalizing a project plan
- Gauging progress with baselines
- Configuring start and end dates, styles, templates, and more
- Working with OmniPlan Pro