Calculate return on investment and net present value for project alternatives. ROI and NPV are tools that project leaders should use to understand the financial implications of project options. Financial analysis of projects using ROI and NPV can enable improved decision making and higher value results.
- Project leaders need to understand…the cost and benefits when…they're investigating their options.…In this movie, we'll look at the…two most common methods for analyzing…the financial benefits of a proposed solution.…The two approaches to financial analysis…that are used most often are net present value, NPV,…and return on investment, ROI.…What's useful about the NPV is that…you end up with one number.…If the number is positive, that's good, you'll make money,…and the bigger the number is, the more money you'll make.…
Calculate the NPV by figuring out…how much the project would cost each year,…how much it would earn each year,…and what you expect the inflation rate will be,…or in more technical terms,…NPV adds up discounted cash flows…over the life of the project.…By adding each years value together…while adjusting for inflation,…you estimate how much the project is worth in today's money,…the net, or total present value.…
Since NPV calculates the value…of the project as a monetary value,…the higher the NPV is for an option,…
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining the vision
- Documenting the project scope
- Investigating potential options
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Selecting a course of action
- Resolving issues
- Building trust with transparency
- Managing project plans
- Identifying risks
- Changing processes
- Helping people transition
Skill Level Intermediate
Agile Project Management Foundationswith Bob McGannon1h 16m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Changewith Doug Rose1h 1m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Scheduleswith Bonnie Biafore1h 33m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
Next steps2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.