Defining the vision for a project is to identify the challenge or opportunity that a project is intended to address. Defining the vision is an important pillar of the DIRECT project leadership model. This can be done using root cause analysis, brainstorming, and affinity diagrams. These project management tools and activities will help to effectively document the project scope.
- One of my favorite project leadership quotes…comes from baseball legend Yogi Berra.…Yogi used to say, "If you don't know where you're going,…"you might wind up someplace else."…In this video, we are going to look at the first pillar…of the Direct project leadership framework,…defining the vision for the project.…Defining the vision means you need…to be clear about the goal.…What is the problem or opportunity…that your project is supposed to address?…I'll tell you one of the things…that I find most frustrating.…
And you may have experienced this too.…You're in the middle of a task, working really hard,…and getting a sense of satisfaction from your work.…And then someone walks in…and tells you to stop working on it…because we don't need to do it anymore.…That's a terrible feeling, it's deflating,…because you feel like you've wasted your energy.…It's a shame, but the truth is…that companies stop projects all the time.…When they decide that the benefits don't justify the costs.…Why?…Well, sometimes the circumstances change.…
- Defining the vision
- Documenting the project scope
- Investigating potential options
- Conducting a SWOT analysis
- Selecting a course of action
- Resolving issues
- Building trust with transparency
- Managing project plans
- Identifying risks
- Changing processes
- Helping people transition
Skill Level Intermediate
Agile Project Management Foundationswith Bob McGannon1h 17m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Changewith Doug Rose1h 1m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Scheduleswith Bonnie Biafore1h 33m Appropriate for all
Project Management Foundations: Teamswith Bob McGannon1h 29m Appropriate for all
Next steps2m 37s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.