Join David Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Send SMS messages with an online service, part of Raspberry Pi: Home Monitoring and Control.
- There are various messaging services…that you can have access to,…either for free or for a small charge.…The SMS, or short message service,…textbelt.com, is what we're using…to send free text messages in our project.…There are even MMS, or multimedia messaging services,…available to send media as well as texts.…For example, there are lots of examples on the web…where you use MMS to send not only a message…that your alarm has been triggered,…but also send pictures of the intruder as well.…You can see here that we're using curl…to post a message to ourselves.…
And if you look on the second line,…you just put in your phone number of your cell phone.…On the third line, you can see…that you put quote message equals…and then the actual message that you want to have arrive…on your cell phone through your messaging service.…So, when you send a message,…you will get a response that says true,…which means the message has been sent,…or you're going to see success false…that you have not been able to send it,…and it will give you a reason for that.…
This DIY electronics project provides simple directions for getting your home monitoring system up and running. Author David Ross helps you select a power supply, camera, motion detector, enclosure, and other components and accessories, and make your system "smart" by connecting to web services frameworks such as Weaved and WebIOPi. Then he helps you program the logic to make your Pi camera take pictures and stream video, connect to home peripherals, and mount your alarm system. With this training, and a little elbow grease, you can create a fully autonomous system that helps you and your family feel more secure at home and away.
Note: These instructions work with Raspberry Pi B, Raspberry Pi B+, and Raspberry Pi 2 models.
- Selecting hardware, including a Raspberry Pi camera and a Pi Cobbler
- Configuring VNC, SSH, and WebIOPi services
- Sending SMS messages with the Raspberry Pi
- Taking and accessing pictures remotely
- Setting up video streaming with a Raspberry Pi camera
- Connecting the Pi to the development board
- Connecting the relay and motion detector
- Programming the alarm in Python
- Mounting and securing the alarm system