Here we download and install the Intel System Studio so we can obtain the SoC Watch installer package which lets us use Intel SoC Watch for FREE! After you go through the steps in this video, you can uninstall the entire Intel System Studio suite and still use the Intel Energy Profiler SoC Watch data collector. This way you don't need to spend $1,600 and can still have this powerful command line tool that provides C-state residency information that is way more in-depth than the C-state information most tools provide (which is only up to C3).
- [Voiceover] The Intel Energy Profiler,…SoC Watch comes as part of Intel System Studio 2016.…To get a hold of this energy profiler for free…I'm going to download the free trial version…of the Intel System Studio which contains…the SoC Watch installer package.…You can then install SoC Watch,…without having to purchase Intel System Studio.…In fact, after you grab the installer package…for the SoC Watch tool you can uninstall…Intel System Studio altogether and still use SoC Watch.…
If you go to this URL here and click on try and buy,…it will take you to another page,…and here I'm going to grab the professional edition.…You want to make sure you grab the professional edition…and not the standard version.…This is because the Intel SoC Watch only comes…with the professional or ultimate editions.…After you click on the professional edition OS trial link…it will take you to a page where you…must enter in your email address.…Select your country, I'm in the United States,…so I'm going to select the United States…as my country slash region.…
With these diagnostic tools and some efficient programming, you can reduce your app's power consumption while improving its response times. In this course, Thomas Pantels introduces a handful of tools used to measure and optimize power consumption. You will see demos on how to use the Intel Power Gadget, Windows Performance Toolkit, TypePerf, and SoC Watch, along with some simple coding tips for making any Windows app more energy efficient.
- Collecting and analyzing power data with Intel Power Gadget
- Implementing a rendering state machine
- Collecting and analyzing data with the Windows Performance Toolkit
- Understanding idle states, call stack walking, and thread activity
- Windows OS Timer Tick Resolution Rate change
- Optimization techniques to make your app power efficient
- Collecting, analyzing, and comparing data with Windows TypePerf and SoC Watch
Skill Level Intermediate
Developing Universal Windows Appswith Stacey Mulcahy2h 13m Beginner
1. How to Use Intel Power Gadget
2. How to Use Windows Performance Toolkit
3. How to Use Windows Typeperf
4. How to Use Intel Energy Profiler SoC Watch
Next steps2m 27s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.