- [Voiceover] It's time for another challenge.…In this challenge, I have created a worksheet…that has a few examples from all the topics in this movie.…For more practice, I strongly encourage you to seek out…more problem-solving exercises online or from a…discrete mathematics textbook.…The topics for this movie included creating truth tables,…evaluating arguments for validity,…proving logical equivalence,…and writing conditional propositions and predicates.…
For this challenge, you will definitely need…pencil and paper to complete the worksheet provided…in the exercises file.…I have also created a separate solutions worksheet,…but try to complete the problems first…and then only review your completed answers…with the solution I provided.…I estimate this challenge should take…approximately ten minutes.…
This course relies on an open-source SML (standard machine language) library to demo the concepts behind discrete math. Peggy Fisher shows you how to manipulate sets of data, write proofs and truth tables, analyze data sequences, and visualize data using graph theory. Challenges at the end of every chapter allow you to test your knowledge. By the end of the course, you should be able to make the leap from theory to using discrete math in practice: saving time and resulting in code that's cleaner and easier to maintain in the long run.
- Real-world discrete math
- Objects as sets
- Set notation and operations
- Standard machine language (SML) setup
- Working with data types, strings, and functions in SML
- Analyzing data sequences
- Writing truth tables
- Identifying and evaluating predicates
- Validating arguments
- Writing proofs: subset, conditional, and biconditional proofs
- Visualizing data with graphs
- Advanced discrete math techniques
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Discrete Math Uses
3. Setting Up SML
4. Analyzing Data Sequences
5. Effective Arguments and Defensible Decisions
6. Proofs Made Easy
7. Advanced Discrete Math Topics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.