Join Dave Crenshaw for an in-depth discussion in this video Use background tasking to get more done, part of Time Management Tips Weekly.
- In my time management fundamentals course,…I talk about how there's no such thing as multitasking.…There is either switchtasking or background tasking.…Switchtasking is when you're trying to perform…two activities that require attention at the same time.…It's never productive and always inefficient.…Background tasking, however, is when something…mindless, mundane, or automatic occurs…in the background while you're performing an activity.…Background tasking can get you…the maximum benefit for the time that you spend working.…
So it's actually something you want to actively look for.…You want to find opportunities to background task.…So I'd like to give you a few suggestions…of places that you can look to find…opportunities to background task.…The first is through delegation.…If you think about all the different activities…that you have, only a few of them are most valuable.…These are the things where you want…to actively focus your attention.…It's better for someone else to do…the less valuable activities.…
For instance, it might be my most valuable activity…
Have an idea for a future video from Dave? Submit it using our course feedback form. If you want more time management strategies now, we recommend watching Dave's Time Management Fundamentals course.
- Reducing interruptions
- Dealing with feeling overwhelmed
- Responding to quick questions
- Making the most of meetings
- Following up
- Implementing a closed door, open calendar policy
Skill Level Appropriate for all
New This Week
1. Time Management Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.