Join Dave Crenshaw for an in-depth discussion in this video Set voicemail and email expectations, part of Time Management Tips.
- If I call your voicemail, what will I hear?…Most people have a voicemail message something like this:…Hi, you've reached the voicemail of Dave,…leave a message, I'll get back to you as soon as possible.…What does "as soon as possible" mean?…It means whatever the person who's leaving…the message wants it to mean.…It could be now, it could be in the next five minutes.…Well, what we want to do is transition out of the culture…of "now" to the culture of "when".…
Most people have an expectation of now.…If you don't respond to that voicemail…in the next five minutes, they send you an email.…And if you don't respond to that email,…they send you a text message, and on and on,…which creates a lot of switches…and interruptions in your day.…What we want to do is move to the culture of "when",…which establishes an expectation…in the other person's mind that is reasonable.…How do we do that?…Well, let's consider it both with voicemail…and with email.…First voicemail, how often should you check…your voicemail for the kind of business that you're in,…
Have an idea for a future video from Dave? Submit it using our course feedback form. If you want more time management strategies now, we recommend watching Dave's Time Management Fundamentals course.
- Reducing interruptions
- Dealing with feeling overwhelmed
- Responding to quick questions
- Making the most of meetings
- Following up
- Implementing a closed door, open calendar policy
Skill Level Appropriate for all
New This Week
1. Time Management Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.