Join Dave Crenshaw for an in-depth discussion in this video Replace to-do lists with a schedule, part of Time Management Tips.
- The to-do list is a common tool that many people use…yet actually gets in the way of effective time management.…Now the to-do list is a running list…of things that you want to accomplish…and you add things to it…and you cross them off as they get done,…and some of them do get accomplished,…but often the list grows endlessly.…This contributes to a feeling of being overwhelmed.…It also contributes to the myth of multitasking.…You're switch-tasking by looking…at all those different to-dos at the same time.…
Instead, we want to get into the habit…of using a time budget.…We want to make a commitment as to…when we're going to accomplish these things.…So how do we make that transition away from a to-do list…and what should we use instead?…Here are a few steps.…First of all, establish a calendar.…One calendar.…Choose that calendar that you're going to use consistently…and you're going to carry with you at all times.…If you've already taken this step, then great,…but if you haven't, take a moment…and decide whether you're going to…
Have an idea for a future video from Dave? Submit it using our course feedback form. If you want more time management strategies now, we recommend watching Dave's Time Management Fundamentals course.
- Reducing interruptions
- Dealing with feeling overwhelmed
- Responding to quick questions
- Making the most of meetings
- Following up
- Implementing a closed door, open calendar policy
Skill Level Appropriate for all
New This Week
1. Time Management Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.