Join Dave Crenshaw for an in-depth discussion in this video Find focus in an interruption-heavy environment, part of Time Management Tips Weekly.
- I talk about how switches are your enemy when it comes…to productivity, but what if you're in a position…that requires switches in attention?…Where you need to respond?…For instance in emergency situations.…I call these positions responders,…and typically you'll see them in technical support…or things like repair or even emergency response.…If switches are a requirement in your day,…yet we don't want to have switches take place,…how do we reconcile the two?…Well there are a few tweaks…that I'd suggest you make to your schedule.…
First of all, rather than fighting these switches…expect them.…Expectations have everything to do…with your ability to be happy in the workplace,…and rather than being frustrated every time they happen,…just realize this is my job.…I have to respond to these things.…Second, schedule less in your day.…For instance if you know that you're in a position…where you're going to be interrupted regularly…throughout the day, leave at least 50%…of your calendar open, empty.…
That way you're prepared for these interruptions to happen.…
Have an idea for a future video from Dave? Submit it using our course feedback form. If you want more time management strategies now, we recommend watching Dave's Time Management Fundamentals course.
- Reducing interruptions
- Dealing with feeling overwhelmed
- Responding to quick questions
- Making the most of meetings
- Following up
- Implementing a closed door, open calendar policy
Skill Level Appropriate for all
New This Week
1. Time Management Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.