Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video The secret to panning background vocals, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Instructor] Most background vocals…are doubled or tripled while recording…to make them sound bigger but the way…to pan them also has a big effect…on how big they really sound.…Here's a way to get the most out…of those backgrounds using a very simple trick.…First of all let's listen to the background vocals.…They are all panned straight up the middle…and there's six of them.…♫ Day la la la ♫…They sound pretty good but what we really…want to find is where the high voices are,…where the low voices are and where the mid voices are…so let's sort of listen to these one by one…so we start to find out where they're all at.…
♫ Day ♫…That sounds like it's a low one.…♫ Day ♫…Also a low one.…♫ Day ♫…That's a mid one.…♫ Day ♫…Another mid one.…♫ Day ♫…That's a high one.…♫ Day ♫…Now what we're going to try to do…is pan these in such a way that it supports…the lead vocal and also has the most dramatic effect.…
So usually the best way to do that is to pan…the lowest vocals more towards the middle…and the highest vocals more towards the outside.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
New This Week
Tighten up releases New4m 1s
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.