Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video The “nail In the paddle” rock kick sound, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Instructor] Rock and metal kick drums…have a certain definition that's unmistakable.…Here's a trick that will give you that…nail in the paddle sound that the genre…is really noted for.…So let's listen to the track…and concentrate on the kick drum.…(hard rock music)…(isolated kick drum)…That sounds okay, it's compressed a little bit,…there's no EQ on it right now,…but we could easily add that nail in the paddle sound.…
We could add EQ, but again if there is any kind of leakage,…we're going to be EQing the leakage as well.…So there's actually a better way to do this…that ends up being a lot more punchy,…which is what we want in this kind of music.…So the first thing we'll do is duplicate our kick drum.…Okay, and now what we want to do is compress it a little bit…so let's just take our normal compressor,…and let's have a listen.…(kick drum)…I didn't have to do much and it came up…pretty compressed already,…and in this case we really want it compressed a lot,…so don't be afraid to do that.…
As a matter of fact, let's compress it a bit more.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.