A huge trend in applying a measured amount of distortion has changed the sound of digital recordings in the past 5 years.
- [Voiceover] So, distortion has become kind of…the it effect of this millennium.…I once called that device decapitator the most overused…effects box today, and I meant it in a good way.…I think we like distortion not only because…the older of us folks are used to it…from the recordings we grew up with, but I also think…that humans process that kind of harmonic distortion…in a really good way and it feels warm to us and real.…It also gives a track a sonic quality of…sort of rough and ready, kind of we weren't too careful…so we got distortion, and it also gives an urgency,…because oh, gosh, he's singing so hard…he's blowing up the electronics.…
All these things combine to produce a very pleasing sound…to most people's ears.…And, let's look at a few of the ways that we can use…distortion effectively in a mix.…("Pressure" by Allen Stone)…This is our friend Allen Stone again.…♫ Stop, please don't flop ♫…- So, with most of Allen's songs,…I've used this tape head effect to give him an edge.…♫ Make as many dollars as you can make ♫…
- Choosing the right reverb
- Adding digital delay
- Tuning your mix
- Phase shifting and flanging
- Increasing drum power and presence
- Driving home the groove with acoustic guitars
- Adding sheer volume to your mix
- Affecting the effects
- Making the chorus "pop"
- Knowing when your mix is done
Skill Level Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Effects and Ambience
2. Auxiliary and Master Bussing
3. Variables: Finding Your Own Way
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.