Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video The mono spring vocal surprise, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Voiceover] Spring reverbs were once looked down upon…as inferior and only meant for guitar amps.…But you'd be surprised how useful they can be sometimes,…especially on a vocal.…Listen how a simple mono spring reverb…brings this vocal to life.…So first of all, listen to the vocal…with the track.…♫ I want a tall skinny papa…♫ Yeah…♫ I want a tall skinny papa…♫ Yeah ♫…So the vocal is just by itself.…There is no effects on it.…Sounds pretty good.…We can make just a little bit better…by adding spring reverb.…
So let's go in and let's add our air spring reverb,…which it the native reverb from Digidesign.…And what we're going to do is bring our mix down here.…And let's listen to the track.…(echoey) ♫ I want a tall skinny papa…♫ Yeah…♫ I want a tall skinny papa…♫ Yeah…♫ I want a tall skinny papa…♫ Yeah…♫ I want a tall skinny papa…♫ Yeah…♫ I want a tall skinny papa…♫ That's all I'll ever need ♫…Now you see, it just adds something.…
That's kinda cool.…And the reason why spring reverb especially works…is because they never had a lot of high end to begin with.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.