How to use Dynamic EQ and compression - the latest craze in 'fix-it' plugins
- [Voiceover] Okay, so I wanna go through a few of the more…esoteric tools in my toolbox,…a few must-have devices…that don't do your typical number on things,…but have a unsusual or a different approach…to solving problems.…I'm gonna focus on instruments in this segment,…and we're gonna start by listening to the whole mix.…I'm gonna show you a few interesting fixes.…Here we go.…(soft rock music)…We're gonna start with the bass on this song.…
Solo it now.…(bass guitar playing)…So, what I've found is that the tonality of this bass…I thought was a little bit uneven.…Although I have corrected it,…with this tube compressor,…and this EQ,…it wasn't enough.…So I went to this device called a Dynamic Spectrum Mapper,…and I drew in a curve that gave me…a more even frequency spectrum,…and I put the bass through it.…
Listen to what happens to it when these compressors,…it's at three band,…try to attack the input signal…and hold it to this curve.…Listen to what happens.…(clicking)…(bass playing)…In the track now:…(all instruments playing)…
- Choosing the right reverb
- Adding digital delay
- Tuning your mix
- Phase shifting and flanging
- Increasing drum power and presence
- Driving home the groove with acoustic guitars
- Adding sheer volume to your mix
- Affecting the effects
- Making the chorus "pop"
- Knowing when your mix is done
Skill Level Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Effects and Ambience
2. Auxiliary and Master Bussing
3. Variables: Finding Your Own Way
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.