Interested in producing the next chart-topping pop song? Multi-platinum producer, engineer, and mixer Brian Malouf demonstrates his hit-making song mixing techniques.
- [Voiceover] This course is for people who are familiar with audio workstations but are looking for a platform in methodology for doing their final mix downs. It's for experienced audio engineers, producers and song writers who are however, inexperienced mixers. I'll be using Pro Tools 12 and numerous third-party plugins throughout this course. But the techniques I'll be demonstrating can be applied using any DAW and any plugin. If you need a refresher or are just getting started with mixing, check out the essential training course for your DAW of choice.
I also recommend watching the Foundations of Audio series which covers compression and dynamics processing, EQ and filters, delay in modulation, as well as reverb in much greater technical detail than i'll be discussing here. Other than that, all you need is a passion for great sounding music and the desire to take your sonic landscapes to new heights.
Brian starts with the basics of creating a mix template and getting a good raw balance of the instruments in the mix. He then dives deep into signal processing techniques on many types of instruments, including drums, bass, guitar, keys, vocals, percussion, strings, and brass. He'll pick out and treat individual tracks with compression and EQ, add space with reverb and echo, and modulate the sound with flangers and phase shifters. Pro Tools is used throughout the course, but the techniques will work equally well with the DAW of your choice.
- Customizing a mix template
- Understanding the interplay of volume, panning, EQ, and dynamics
- Processing drums
- Processing lead and background vocals
- Gain processing
- Treating the bass guitar and synth guitar
- Placing piano in the mix
- Treating strings and brass