Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video What you need to know, part of Mixing a Hip-Hop and R&B Song in Pro Tools.
The core goal of this course is to give you a first-hand look at the real-time thought process that takes place during mixing. Well, I will describe many of the steps I take to achieve the final mix. This course is not intended to be a primer on Pro Tools or the Basic Signal Processing used during the Mix process. If you're still confused about topics such as Equalization, Dynamics, Processors, or the Pro Tools Mixer, I highly encourage you to watch the following courses on the online training library, before watching this course.
I will be mixing the session in real time using headphones, so I can narrate the process step by step. So what you see in here throughout the course is what we end up with in the final balance. While watching the course, keep in mind that the end goal is not so much the specific set of steps I take, the brands of plug-ins I use, or even the finish mix I end up with. Every mix is different and requires a unique approach.
My ultimate goal is to spark your creativity, inspire you to craft your own original mix and find your own unique voice as a mixer.
Recommended prerequisites: Pro Tools Essential Training and Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering
- Setting up the mixer
- Layering kicks and low-frequency management
- Enhancing the lead vocals
- Working with rap "stabs" and "adlibs"
- Processing vocals with EQ, compression, and other effects
- Warming up bass and low-frequency tones
- Re-creating a "sampled vinyl" sound
- Creating "width" and "depth" in the stereo field
- Adding automation
- Mastering the track with compression and limiting
- Bouncing out a stereo mix