Take a peek over Brian Lee White's shoulder as he sequentially moves through the mixing process for a hip-hop track, from layering the drums to processing the vocals.
- Hi, I'm Brian Lee White, and welcome to Mixing a Hip-Hop and R&B song in Pro Tools. In this advanced course, we'll work our way through a mix from scratch, starting with the raw tracks. I'll walk you through getting basic level and pan settings. Next, I'll move on to the drums and percussive elements, to set up a powerful foundation. After that, I'll add in the rap and hook vocals, and get the artist sounding super fresh, before layering in the backing instruments and samples, to fill out the track.
Using track and plug-in automation, I will optimize levels, add drama and build excitement from section to section. Finally, I'll touch up any loose ends, fine tune my master bus effects, and bounce out the finished mix to a stereo master. So, if you're ready, I'm ready. Let's get started. (R&B music)
Recommended prerequisites: Pro Tools Essential Training and Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering
- Setting up the mixer
- Layering kicks and low-frequency management
- Enhancing the lead vocals
- Working with rap "stabs" and "adlibs"
- Processing vocals with EQ, compression, and other effects
- Warming up bass and low-frequency tones
- Re-creating a "sampled vinyl" sound
- Creating "width" and "depth" in the stereo field
- Adding automation
- Mastering the track with compression and limiting
- Bouncing out a stereo mix