Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Using a short reverb for a massive sound, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Voiceover] Back when I first started…in the business selling high end audio gear,…I took a hardware digital reverb in…for one of the biggest mixers…of the time to demo.…I was surprised that the first thing he did…was turn the decay time down as low as…it would go and check that sound out first.…It turns out that this was the key sound…of many of the biggest hit records…which you'll see in just a moment.…First of all let's listen to the track,…and we're just listening to the guitar,…but listen how the guitar fits into this track.…This is just guitar base and drums.…(rock music)…Now listen to the guitar by itself.…
(rock music)…It's not a bad sound, it sounds pretty good in fact,…but it's only a single guitar and we can make it…more exciting and bigger sounding.…So I have our friend the d-verb here.…Here's what it sounds like,…and this is just the default settings.…Listen to it.…(rock music)…Listen to the track.…
(rock music)…That sounds pretty good.…We didn't do anything to it, but the d-verb…is a reasonably good sounding reverb,…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.