Static panning and movement for clarity and effects.
- [Voiceover] Let's talk about panning for a minute…and it really doesn't take a lot of time…to discuss my feeling about panning.…I sometimes think of it as being really cool…and really important, and there are other situations…where it really doesn't matter whatsoever…but I will show you one application…that you can use panning for as an effect…and we're gonna look at this track here, vocals.…It says production vocals.…I put it on a keyboards track.…Stereo keys two, let's listen to the song.…This is Dirty Heads, Can't Sit Here.…
(slow electronic music)…In case you didn't hear it, I'll solo that track.…(distorted electronic music)…So, here you have a pan moving very hard…from left to right via this Soundtoys PanMan plugin.…If I had really wanted to use that effect…for that part I might have actually…automated the pan to do so.…So I would've taken the left and right pan,…knobs in my case 'cause I would use it on the console…that I work from, and just for every phrase…I would pan one side to the other.…
That's not what I end up using for this song.…
- Choosing the right reverb
- Adding digital delay
- Tuning your mix
- Phase shifting and flanging
- Increasing drum power and presence
- Driving home the groove with acoustic guitars
- Adding sheer volume to your mix
- Affecting the effects
- Making the chorus "pop"
- Knowing when your mix is done
Skill Level Intermediate
Mixing Techniques for Pop Music, Part 1with Brian Malouf3h 19m Intermediate
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
1. Effects and Ambience
2. Auxiliary and Master Bussing
3. Variables: Finding Your Own Way
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.