Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding video formats, codecs, and pull-up/pull-down, part of Pro Tools: Audio for Film and Video.
If you have a good understanding on how SMPTE timecode and frame rates work,…you're ready to get into some more advanced scenarios using Pull Up/Pull Down…settings in Pro Tools.…We'll also discuss how different video codecs can affect us as we work with…video in Pro Tools 9.…Pro Tools offers a feature called Pull Up/Pull Down which lets you…compensate for any mismatches that can occur during the transfer from film to video and back.…These features reside in the Session Setup window where the other Timecode…settings you located.…Go to Setup > Session. On the bottom right we have the Pull Up/Pull Down menus.…
Just so you know, for Pro Tools systems, when you're clocking to your system…internally, as we are doing here, Clock Source Internal, the Pull Up/Pull Down…audio features don't actually ever speed up or slow down your audio.…They merely play the video back at different rates to compensate.…So when you choose to pull the audio down in the Session Setup window, Pro Tools…is actually simulating the pull by speeding up the video to accommodate.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 48s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.