Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding sound effects, ambiences, and backgrounds, part of Audio for Film and Video with Pro Tools.
It's time to begin working with sound effects.…This is where you get to really establish the sonic world of your video.…In this movie, we will go over the five different types of effects, and then we…will look at databases for managing sound effects libraries, and we'll begin to…lay in some ambience and background tracks of our own.…First, let's just make sure we understand the different sound effects and what they do.…There are five main categories of sound effects.…First we have hard effects.…These are single sounds placed exactly on action.…Here is an example of a hard effect, or where a hard effect is needed.…I am going to mute the track and we'll see where it's needed first.…
(clip playing) Did you see when that bike was laid down?…I will play it one more time.…(clip playing) That's a good opportunity for a sound effect.…As you can see, we've laid one in.…Let me solo the track, and we will hear what that sound effect sounds like by itself.…(clunking sound)…Then I will unsolo the track and we can hear it in context.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
Film Scoring with Pro Toolswith Christopher Brooks2h 38m Intermediate
Mixing and Mastering with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White9h 18m Intermediate
Creative Inspirations: Mark Mothersbaugh, Music Composerwith Mark Mothersbaugh56m 36s Appropriate for all
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.