Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding the audio production workflow, part of Audio for Film and Video with Pro Tools.
Let's get into the basic workflow of an audio for video project and see how…Pro Tools integrates.…First, the production phase. The video is shot.…While Pro Tools can be used to record audio on a set, typically location audio…recordists use a separate hard drive or flash recorder.…Then we have the Picture edit. In this step, the video, along with production…sound, is imported into video editing software, such as Final Cut Pro or…Avid Media Composer.…During this period of time sound engineers can gather and record other sound…effects that might be useful for the project, or go through sound effects…libraries, storing sounds, editing, and compositing them in Pro Tools, gearing up…for sound work that lies ahead.…
When the picture editing is complete, the picture is said to be locked.…There may be still graphic, special effects, or other picture manipulations, but…the timing of the cuts are solid and fixed.…The next step is the OMF or AAF transfer, where the sound is separated from the…picture and brought into Pro Tools.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 4/04/12. Can you tell me what changed?
A: This update was initiated when Avid released Pro Tools 10. It explains that this course can be taken with either Pro Tools 9 or 10 (the exercise files are compatible with both), and we also added movies that explore the enhanced clip-based gain and Audio Suite features in Pro Tools 10, both of which are useful when building a soundtrack.
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.