Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Tweak your track timing like the pros, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Instructor] Even great players don't always get it right,…so there are times when you have to move things around…a little just to make sure everything is tight.…Here's how to do it.…So first of all let's listen to the track,…just guitar, base, and drums.…("Pull My Stinger" by SNEW)…That sounded pretty good, but the fact of the matter is…there are some things that are off there.…Listen now just to the drums and bass.…(drum and bass music)…There are a couple flams there that happened.…
What we would do normally is we'd go through…and we listen, first of all, to the kick in the share…and the bass all the way through the song…and we'd do any kind of fixes that we'd have to make.…So if there are any flams, then we go in…and we get rid of those first.…We fix them all.…And then we do each consecutive instrument as well,…usually against the drums.…So you listen to the drums and you listen to the instrument…and make sure there's no flams.…Now there could be a little bit of looseness in the playing,…and that's okay, but usually when there are accents…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.