Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Simulating a tape delay, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Instructor] If you ever get to hear a real tape delay,…you know how cool it can be.…There are many plugins that emulate that sound…but here's how you can build a tape delay…and have more control over it, too.…First of all, let's listen to the song,…and there is a delay on the vocal, that's all.…Now this is a eighth note delay.…And we can see that it's at 197ms.…
And it sounds okay, it works in the song.…But this is more of a '40s, '50s type of song…and it needs a kind of feel,…so what we'd rather have is a tape delay effect…rather than the real, clean delay that we're using.…So we can get this fairly easy.…The first thing we're going to do is add an EQ.…And the thing about tape delay, real tape,…is that it has a very limited bandwidth.…Mostly because, after the first couple plays,…a lot of the oxide actually wears off.…
So what happens is there's less magnetism…and there's less high end,…and there's less low end.…So what we're gonna do is simulate that…is we're going to put a high pass…and a low pass filter,…and we're gonna do it somewhere around…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.