Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Short reverb decay is your friend, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Voiceover] There's a guitar sound in many hit records…that make them sound bigger than life,…and without the use of a washy reverb.…As soon as you hear it,…it will take you back to dozens of recordings…that you've heard before.…So first of all, let's listen to this song…just with the guitar solo up.…(electric guitar playing jazzy riff)…It sounds pretty small.…It's just a fairly clean guitar…with a amplifier that has a little bit of reverb dialed in…just on the amplifier itself,…so that's what we're hearing.…
That's the tail that we're hearing there.…But we can make the sound a whole lot bigger,…and we're going to do it by first inserting a reverb.…And it doesn't matter what kind of reverb you want to do.…I think we'll just do an air reverb here.…This is, again, a native plug-in from Pro Tools,…but you can use anything you want,…and what I'm trying to show you is anything will work here.…This is very generic.…It doesn't matter what you're using,…and as far as a workstation or what you're using…as far as a reverb is concerned.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.