Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up a surround mix template, part of Audio for Film and Video with Pro Tools.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Surround mixing has rapidly gone from being a big budget-only practice to…something, in my opinion, even the smallest project should be a tempting.…In this video we'll go over the specifics of the hardware, monitor arrangement,…and I/O setup for a 5.1 surround signal flow.…The first consideration for any surround mixing setup is the hardware.…You have to have the available outputs on your hardware interface, which would…be six for a 5.1 mix.…You also have to have five full range speaker monitors and one LFE or Low…Frequency speaker or subwoofer.…
Here's the proper way to configure those speaker monitors.…You should have a center speaker at 0 degrees from the mixing position, right in front, …and the right speaker should be 30 degrees off axis from that.…And going around, the right surround speakers should be 110 degrees from zero position.…These speakers should be ideally placed around the periphery of a circle, so…that each speaker is indetented in a little bit, angled towards the next position.…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Film Scoring with Pro Toolswith Christopher Brooks2h 38m Intermediate
Mixing and Mastering with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White9h 18m Intermediate
Creative Inspirations: Mark Mothersbaugh, Music Composerwith Mark Mothersbaugh56m 36s Appropriate for all
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.