Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Reviewing the final master, part of Mixing a Hip-Hop and R&B Song in Pro Tools.
So I actually sent this mix out for a final professional Master, and I wanted to take…this opportunity to let you hear the differences between the Pre Master, that is the Master…with no limiting, the Master that I did, during the bounce stage as well as the final Master…that came back from the Mastering engineer.…And I also wanted to talk about the process of sending something out to a professional…Mastering engineer some of the things you want to look for as well as some of the benefits…and other considerations of using a professional Mastering engineer as opposed to Mastering…your mixes yourself like we did in the previous movie.…
So, let's start out by listening to the differences here.…Now this was my Master that I did. (music playing)…And this is the Master that came back from the Mastering engineer, Shawn Hatfield at…AudibleOddities mastered this for me, and I'll talk a little bit about what he did after we listen.…
(music playing)…Again, just for reference, here is the Master we finished with.…
Recommended prerequisites: Pro Tools Essential Training and Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering
- Setting up the mixer
- Layering kicks and low-frequency management
- Enhancing the lead vocals
- Working with rap "stabs" and "adlibs"
- Processing vocals with EQ, compression, and other effects
- Warming up bass and low-frequency tones
- Re-creating a "sampled vinyl" sound
- Creating "width" and "depth" in the stereo field
- Adding automation
- Mastering the track with compression and limiting
- Bouncing out a stereo mix