Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video The Real NYC compression trick, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- Let's look at the New York City compression trick.…I'm gonna show you the real way to do it,…which is somewhat different from…what you see posted around the web.…I was actually the one to coin the phrase…New York City Compression Trick…way back in the first version…of my Mixing Engineers Handbook.…That was back in 1999.…The term has caught on everywhere.…The name came about because it seemed…that every engineer that I worked with…that was from New York City back then,…used this trick.…And believe me, it's really a good one.…It will give the rhythm section of your song…more power and heft,…but it's more than simple parallel compression.…
And that's what I'm gonna show you…how to do today.…Many people thing of the New York City compression trick…as just parallel compression.…And it's true, it is just parallel compression,…but there's more to it than that.…And that's why I call this trick…the real New York City compression trick.…And I'm gonna show you all…of the little details that make it different…than just simple parallel compression.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Pro Tools 12 Essential Trainingwith RIAN SKYE G LEWIN9h 53m Beginner
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.