Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Processing the hook lead vocals, part of Mixing a Hip-Hop and R&B Song in Pro Tools.
So now that I have a good lead vocal sound for the verse, I want to…move on to the lead vocals in the chorus or the Hook 1 and 2.…Let's just go ahead and listen to what that is doing here.…(music playing)…So I'm actually going to process the hook vocals very similarly to the rap vocals in the verse.…
So I can start just by copying over.…In my settings here I'm actually going to go ahead and take the time to organize some of these returns.…So I'm actually going to take my returns and move them all the way over here next to my…master fader just so they're out of the way. Great.…Now I can just start copying over some of these plug-ins.…Of course, I'm going to want to adjust these once I get them on the vocal.…
I'm going to use the same plug-in chain for a lot of the same reasons. This vocal iss definitely…going to need some EQ.…I'm just going to go ahead and reset that so that I can EQ that unique to this specific vocal.…So here I'm just going to solo up this guy and the reason I'm soloing this up to EQ initially…
Recommended prerequisites: Pro Tools Essential Training and Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering
- Setting up the mixer
- Layering kicks and low-frequency management
- Enhancing the lead vocals
- Working with rap "stabs" and "adlibs"
- Processing vocals with EQ, compression, and other effects
- Warming up bass and low-frequency tones
- Re-creating a "sampled vinyl" sound
- Creating "width" and "depth" in the stereo field
- Adding automation
- Mastering the track with compression and limiting
- Bouncing out a stereo mix