Join Brian Lee White for an in-depth discussion in this video Processing the FX vocals, part of Mixing a Hip-Hop and R&B Song in Pro Tools.
- View Offline
So I'm working towards completing my chorus vocals sound, and I have these quirky little…effects vocals that I need to deal with, the Hey and the Cant Stop, and if we just switch…over to the Edit window, we can see where these take place.…Let me just solo these for you. (music playing)…So those are the response to the hook chorus vocals and the way I actually recorded those…was I recorded at half speed so that when it plays back at normal speed it's actually…pitched up an octave.…
But because it's sort of a vary speed effect it's like speeding up a record, you get this…kind of chipmunks effect on it.…And so that's something that I didn't actually use a plug-in to create, I actually just recorded…at half speed in Pro Tools, you can do that just by holding down Shift and hitting Command+Spacebar…that actually puts you into record at half speed.…And then when I play it back and normal speed I get this really cool chipmunk octave up kind of sound.…Now what I want to do with this is I want to really provide a huge contrast between…
Recommended prerequisites: Pro Tools Essential Training and Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering
- Setting up the mixer
- Layering kicks and low-frequency management
- Enhancing the lead vocals
- Working with rap "stabs" and "adlibs"
- Processing vocals with EQ, compression, and other effects
- Warming up bass and low-frequency tones
- Re-creating a "sampled vinyl" sound
- Creating "width" and "depth" in the stereo field
- Adding automation
- Mastering the track with compression and limiting
- Bouncing out a stereo mix