- View Offline
- What is mixing? Exploring the past, present, and future
- Mixing "in the box"
- Setting up monitors and ensuring proper acoustics in the studio
- Staying organized with labels, memory locations, and window configurations
- Working with the Pro Tools Mixer
- Building healthy and profitable mixing habits when putting together a final mix
- Using volume and pan to balance the mix
- Employing corrective versus creative EQ strategies to create clarity and contrast
- Knowing when and when not to process the audio of a track
- Working with compressors and dynamics processors
- Using saturation effects to capture an analog-type sound
- Adding reverb and delay to create depth in a mix
- Working with limiting and multiband compression during the mastering process
- Dealing with plug-in delay and latency in a mix
- Using the bundled plug-ins in Pro Tools to add clarity, punch, and width to a mix
- Recording and editing automation to add drama and excitement
- Using clip based gain to control headroom and gain staging
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Brian Lee White and welcome to Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering. In this course, I'll show you how to take your projects to the next level using Pro Tools to tie together all of the pieces into a killer sounding mix. Together, we'll explore the Pro Tools mixer and understand the basics of signal flow, plug-ins, effects returns, and sub mixing. I'll discuss the importance of setting up a solid mixing plan and give you advice on working through the critical stages of the mix.
I'll cover the basic mixing tools every producer should know, from using EQ to add clarity and focus, to effectively using dynamics processors to add impact and power to your mixes. I'll explain how to achieve that commercial, radio-ready sound during the mastering stage by using compression and limiting to maximize the level of your mix. And if you're already using Pro Tools 11, I'll cover some of the exciting new mixing features in a special new chapter at the end of the course.
So if you're ready, I'm ready. Let's get started with Pro Tools Mixing and Mastering.