Join Bobby Owsinski for an in-depth discussion in this video Parallel compression for punch with dynamics, part of Audio Mixing Master Class.
- [Instructor] Parallel Compression is a tool…used by so many great mixers to get that punchy sound,…yet keep the track's dynamics.…You've heard it on mixes by The Red Hot Chili Peppers,…Lady Gaga, Adele, and many, many others.…Here's how you can make it work for you.…Now first, let's listen to the track…without any parallel compression.…(slow rock music)…Now, it sounds pretty good, everything's EQ'd.…But, we can make the kick and…the snare snap a little bit more.…
Now we can insert a compressor on the channels,…or we can use a parallel processor.…Let's use the parallel processor.…So the first thing we'll do is…take the kick, and we're going to duplicate it.…And yeah, we also want to duplicate the insert…so if there's EQ, we'll take that, too.…Okay, now let's listen to what this…kick sounds like, just by itself.…(slow drum music)…Okay, now what we're going to do,…here we have it on the second channel, a duplicated,…we're going to add a compressor.…
And I'm just going to add the regular Pro Tools…built in native Compressor, nothing fancy.…
See how the pros handle the critical balance between the bass and drums. Learn where, when, why, and how EQ should be used on virtually any instrument. Become proficient in tailoring just the right effect for each particular mixing situation. And master the key to fat and punchy sounding mixes: compression. Tune in every Thursday for a new tip!
- The Abbey Road Studios reverb trick
- Secrets to a powerful and punchy mix
- Using compression like NYC pros
- Listening tips and tricks used by the world's best mixers
- How Van Halen gets their guitar sound
- Making vocals shine
- Adding excitement to boring pad tracks
- Setting up your mix to get the best results in the least amount of time
Skill Level Beginner
Foundations of Audio: Compression and Dynamic Processingwith Brian Lee White2h 25m Appropriate for all
Music Production Secrets: Larry Crane on Mixingwith Larry Crane1h 51m Intermediate
New This Week
Audio Mixing Master Class - Previous Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.