Join Scott Hirsch for an in-depth discussion in this video Organizing the dialog tracks, part of Audio for Film and Video with Pro Tools.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
If audio for video is a battle then the dialog edit is on the front lines.…The overall success of your soundtrack will hinge on the effectiveness of the…dialog, and all the other elements in your session will be built around it.…Here we'll discuss your overall approach to your first dialog pass.…As you see here, we have a pre-made session.…It follows the template ideas we worked on before, but it's slightly different,…since we're using it just for dialog.…As you can here, we have dialog A 1-4, which we'll use for this scene, and then…for the next scene, we would use dialog B 1-4, and then in the following scene…we would go back to dialog A 1-4.…
This way of checkerboarding can maximize your dialog tracks to keep you with…the fewest amount of tracks through your entire session, but a lot of…flexibility for your mix.…As you can see also, we've already duplicated, hidden, and locked our original…OMF tracks to get back to them if we need to.…So on these four dialog tracks that came in with the OMF, we have in our first…
- Understanding video formats, codecs, and timecode rates
- Importing OMFs and AAFs into Pro Tools
- Spotting film and using markers
- Using room tone
- Creating fades to smooth out audio edits
- Sweetening and hard effects
- Recording ADR and editing with VocALign LE
- Editing out plosives, crackles, and hums
- Mixing with automation and reverb
- Calibrating for 5.1 surround mixing and bass management
- Mastering delivery levels and dynamics
- Understanding the Audio Suite enhancements in Pro Tools 10
Skill Level Intermediate
Film Scoring with Pro Toolswith Christopher Brooks2h 38m Intermediate
Mixing and Mastering with Pro Toolswith Brian Lee White9h 18m Intermediate
Creative Inspirations: Mark Mothersbaugh, Music Composerwith Mark Mothersbaugh56m 36s Appropriate for all
1. Getting Ready to Build Audio for Video
2. Working with a Video Project
Exporting OMF and AAF files4m 49s
3. Getting into the Audio for Video Workflow
4. Working with Audio for Video
5. Recording to Picture
6. Learning Audio for Video Techniques
7. Mixing Audio for Video
8. Working in Surround
9. Preparing for Final Delivery
10. Backing Up and Archiving
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.